Technology & Computing Service Requests

Within UE, there are a few ways to request help with your technology and computing needs. This page will explain which department you should contact depending on the nature of the request. 

IET requests

The main tech support resource for UE is the office of Information and Educational Technology. They will assist you with the following issues via IET Express:

  • General computer issues
  • Network issues
  • Server needs
  • Computer hardware and software installation 
  • Computer maintenence
  • Purchasing software*

* Please refer to the guide on ordering new hardware and software in UE here before filing a ticket to purchase new tech with IET Express. 

OCP-ISPS requests

Information Systems Planning and Support (ISPS) is the main development, application support and electronic document management unit for the Offices of the Chancellor and Provost (OCP) organization.  ISPS provides web development and application support for all units reporting to OCP. 

  • OCP-ISPS has created a How can we help you? resource to route various requests (Kerberos login required.  TES employees will not have access, which is limited to employees of OCP).